Tuesday 4 March 2014

Why has it become so mainstream to dislike Marilyn Monroe and anyone who finds her interesting?

I'm an absolutely huge Marilyn Monroe fan, fan as in watched her movies, read her memoirs, and also purchased loads of memorabilia, but lately, I couldn't help noticing that it seems to be popular to say "she wasn't an icon", when in fact, I think it's personal choice if someone finds a particular person iconic, they may not find her personally iconic, but someone else could find her story highly relatable.

I've never thought she was "aspirational", but I have found her story incredibly fascinating, and her imperfections, relatable, as a woman. I'm such a big fan of Marilyn because I'm obsessed with that pinup/1950's era, and I think she is the ultimate representation of old school Hollywood glamour, which is one of my main interests.  I get why people disagree that she's not the typical example of an icon, but there must be a reason that why, over 50 years after her death, so many women around the world class her as their icon.  Perhaps people need to realise that living a perfect life isn't the only definition of an icon, I think Marilyn's imperfections are the reason lots of women find her so fascinating, myself included.


I'm always going to be a fan of Marilyn, she's the Queen of Pinup.




No comments:

Post a Comment